By Robert Laurenson, 22 March 2019
Like most good ideas it gained traction after watching someone chug a beer out of their shoe. We were at a friend’s birthday party. A group of trampers hiding in the corner, plotting and scheming trips instead of dancing or meeting new people.
I’d heard tell of a hidden hut in the Tauherenikau valley. Joe Gibbs Memorial Hut it seemed like a good Sunday excursion.
Good hut, good run. Thanks to Doug for dropping us with such style and to Ivan who wasn’t too disappointed to not go canyoning.
- 9:45 Kaitoke road end
- 10:45 Smiths Creek Shelter
- 11:45 Start of looking for the hut on the wrong side of the creek
- 12:05 Start of looking for the hut on the correct side of the creek
- 12:07 Joe Gibbs Memorial Hut
- 12:40 Depart Hut
- 1:25 Smiths Creek Shelter
- 2:30 Kaitoke road end